Despite your best efforts, accidents and emergencies can sometimes happen. That is why it is so important to be sure you have the correct building safety systems in place. Building safety needs vary based on different factors including the size of a building, but one common denominator for all building environments is the need for fire safety protection.
If you are the owner or manager of a commercial building, fire safety is likely to be one of your top concerns. At MLN Fire Protection in Houston, we understand your concerns and strive to provide top-quality fire protection and suppression systems. One of the many services that we offer is sprinkler system installation, maintenance, and repair.
The primary concern when it comes to fire protection is protecting the people inside the building. Many commercial buildings have a high number of occupants at any given time and a fire emergency can be dangerous and disastrous. A sprinkler system can be a key factor in protecting personnel during a fire emergency. A commercial sprinkler system is designed to detect the heat from a fire and activate water flow. The sprinkler system helps to suppress a fire early and stop or slow the spread of a fire long enough for the occupants to evacuate.
In addition to personnel, most businesses are concerned with protecting vital assets from fire. Commercial buildings often contain valuable items like merchandise, equipment, computers, electronics, and information systems. A proper sprinkler system can also help in this regard. By reducing the severity of the fire, a sprinkler system can help lessen the damage done by the fire and save a building owner or manager money in the long run.
Building Safety Requirements
It is also important to ensure that your commercial building is complying with Texas state code. Building code requirements usually have specific requirements for fire safety precautions. Sprinkler systems can be an important component of your fire suppression system required by the state. MLN Fire Protection can help ensure that your commercial building is meeting the correct requirements.
Choosing The Right Sprinkler System
Fire sprinkler systems are useful for suppressing fires in commercial buildings, but it is also important to choose the right type of sprinkler system. The type of sprinkler system that you need may be determined by the size of your building, the types of materials stored in the building, and other important factors. The types of sprinkler systems that MLN Fire Protection can provide include:
- Dry-pipe sprinkler systems: dry-pipe sprinklers use pressurized air to fill the pipes before water is discharged, providing a one-minute delay. This system is ideal for reducing the risk of frozen pipes in buildings with low temperatures.
- Pre-action sprinkler systems: pre-action sprinklers are similar to dry-pipe sprinklers in that they fill with air first, and only spray water when a smoke or fire alarm is engaged. If your building contains materials that can easily be destroyed by water, such as sensitive electronics or books, this system is ideal.
- Wet-pipe sprinkler systems: unlike dry-pipe systems, wet-pipe sprinkler systems constantly have water in them ready to go at any time. This is the most common type of sprinkler system for commercial buildings.
- Foam sprinkler systems: ideal for manufacturing facilities and warehouses where flammable liquids are stored, a foam sprinkler system uses a combination of water and foam to suppress and extinguish a liquid that is on fire.
- Deluge sprinkler system: a deluge system allows the user to open nozzles on water tanks that deluge an area. This system is used most often in industrial buildings and parks.
Certainly, many factors need to be considered when choosing the sprinkler system for your commercial building. You will need to consider the size of your building, the types of assets you have, and the types of fires that could occur there.
Contact MLN Fire Protection Today
If you need to update your fire suppression system, consider a new sprinkler system installation. There are several different types, so you are sure to find one that fits your specific needs. If you have questions or are interested in updating your fire sprinkler system, contact the expert fire protection specialists at MLN Fire Protection in Houston today.